4.14.2010

ikat is (still) everywhere

(ikat bowls | anthropologie)

Last week, I was reading an article on CNN.com about the staying power of the cupcake trend.  The article said something to the effect of, "Cupcakes are here to stay.  Get used to them."  Then, yesterday, as I was perusing my favorite websites and saved images in iPhoto for blog post ideas, I noticed that I have saved a ton of ikat print photos.  It got me thinking that, like cupcakes, ikat prints have staying power, so we better get used to them.   


Ikat emerged as a serious design trend a few years ago after features in trendsetting magazines like Vogue and Elle Decor. The trend has since exploded and trickled down from high-end textile designers like Madeline Weinrib to mass retailers like Target, Urban Outfitters, Antropologie and the like.  (Good news for those of us on a budget!) 


I personally love the different ikat patterns out there, and think they can really make a room (or outfit) look pretty chic.  I have the orange Anthropologie ikat bowl in my own home and am considering re-covering chairs for my dining room in the light blue/aqua ikat print used for the headboard in Julianne Moore's room in Tom Ford's A Single Man.


I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I have.   No matter what your taste or budget, I also hope you're inspired to incorporate a little ikat into your home or wardrobe!

(Madeline Weinrib pillows)
(Madeline Weinrib pillows in designer Sara Gilbane's NYC living room | Feb/Mar issue of Lonny | photograph by Patrick Cline)
(Madeline Weinrib pillow | Design by Betsy Burnham | Feb/Mar issue of Lonny | photograph by Patrick Cline)


(Madeline Weinrib pillows | Antonia Thompson's NYC apartment | Feb/Mar issue of Lonny | photograph by Patrick Cline)
(blue ikat pillow | amazon.com)

(anthropologie ikat bowl | nate berkus's chicago kitchen | elle decor)

(dkny dress | net-a-porter)
(diane von furstenberg)


(diane von furstenberg)

(grey ikat drapes via pink wallpaper)

(ikat slipper chair | urban outfitters)

(ikat rug | anthropologie)
(Tilbury Lapis by Laura Ashley fabric | A Single Man | via Habitually Chic)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails