4.12.2010

tastemaker must read: april/may issue of lonny

If you aren't already a Lonny magazine reader, you're missing out on the best design magazine online!  Although the April/May issue is dedicated to eco-chic designs and products, I must say my favorite part of this issue is the number of gorgeous and inspiring homes they featured.


Among my favorites are Lonny Editor in Chief and former domino magazine staffer, Michelle Adams.  Michelle is the founder of Rubie Green, an eco-friendly textile company.  She has an admitted "passion" for sustainable design, so it should come as no surprise that when she settled in to a new apartment in NYC, she designed the decor with the environment in mind.   


I'm in love with the tortoise-shell lamp and ostrich wallpaper she used.


Other Lonny highlights include the Houston homes of graphic designer, Ashley Putnam and Houston's PaperCity features editor and Domestic Art: Curated Interiors co-author, Laurann Claridge.

I must say, Laurann's five house rules really struck a chord with me, especially the first one.  Over the past year, I've been trying to follow this exact rule when buying pieces for my home and wardrobe.  I've re-printed them below, and hope you find them as helpful as I did.

Laurann's Five House Rules

1. Buy only what you love!  Really, truly, madly, deeply love!  Don't settle for "like."  Acquire what feels so very right deep down inside - be it fashion or home design.  Stick to this credo and you won't have any regretful purchases.

2. Play!  Move things around and have fun with your environment.  Why keep accessories and furniture stagnant?  Change and rotate them with others you've stashed away for a while.  I acquire pieces with the idea that if I tire of them in one room, I can move them into another fairly easily.

3. Don't forget to update.  While I aspire to live with a timeless sense of style, I don't want to get stuck in a rut, either.  Technology and the world around us are constantly changing, bringing to the fore new things that can enhance your life in countless ways.  Embrace change and update your surroundings and your wardrobe often.

4. Don't underestimate the power of stylish accessories, for fashion or home.  I've designed a collection of uncomplicated clothing intended to be multitasked in a myriad of ways.  I love nothing better than seeing someone take a Claridge+King piece and make it completely their own statement-worthy with accessories and their favorite wardrobe staples.  

5.  Great style is all about the mix.  It's more interesting to mix a designer splurge with Gap jeans or a set of funky bracelets or a necklace from Forever 21 or Target.  At home, I love playing with scale and age.  Filling a room in neutral tones with contemporary art and furniture, blended with a balance of vintage and precious antiques, feels at once both invigorating to the eye and harmonious.

all photos by Patrick Cline for Lonny magazine
all photos styled by Michelle Adams for Lonny magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails