8.04.2010

a little nosh here, a little design there

abc kitchen nyc
My inspiration today is coming from three restaurants.  One in NYC, one in DC and one in Sacramento.

I've been lucky enough to eat at both Blue Duck Tavern in Washington and Ella's Dining Room in Sacramento.  After seeing ABC Kitchen photos online, I've added it to my list for my next trip up to the City.  Designed by Paulette Cole of ABC Carpet and Home, with a menu from Jean-Georges Vongerichten, it's no wonder this place looks so amazing!  I love the neutral color palate, the chandeliers, the white dining chairs and the beveled glass wall.







Next up on our tour of awesome restaurants is Blue Duck Tavern right here in DC.  Blue Duck has amazing food, a wonderful outdoor patio (I'm a sucker for al fresco dining), and design that makes you feel like you're sitting in Ina Garten's East Hampton barn.  Blue Duck's design concept comes from the talented Tony Chi, and the menu is the brain child of Executive Chef Brian McBride and Chef de Cuisine Michael Santoro. 

You're guaranteed to spot someone here on the Who's Who List. The first time I went, the Prince of Spain was there with his family, and the second time I went the President of Argentina was having brunch.  Blue Duck has fed everyone from Bono to this city's most famous couple.  I have to say, the best thing about the restaurant is that with all the movers and shakers coming and going, they maintain an air of complete comfort and casualness.  It's all about having a good time and eating great food at Blue Duck.  The interior design is just icing on the cake.  

giant black doors greet you as you walk up to the entry



The outdoor patio is to die for 
The final stop on today's culinary design tour is straight out of my old stomping grounds, Sacramento, California.  Sacramento has never been known as a foodie destination city, but trust me, if you ever find yourself in the area, treat yourself to a meal at Ella's Dining Room.  The interiors were designed by UXUS Design and the menu comes from Kelly McCown.  I had the good fortune of eating a wonderful meal with a great group of colleagues when I was in Sacramento for business in January.  We were a large group and everyone raved about the food and ambiance.  

ella's outdoor patio
(I didn't get to on the patio during my January trip, but looking forward to it on my next visit!)







Whew, long post from me today, but I want to hear from you out there.  What restaurants do you love for the food and design?


2 comments:

  1. My top memory from Ella's was the marrow. But you're right it was very tasty.

    Some of my favs in NYC:

    Perry Street - http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/perry-street/
    (relaxed and fun)

    The Modern - http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/modern/
    (MOMA has great food options now, one of my fav meals in my life was here)

    Del Posto- http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/del-posto/
    (Elegant Italian food, cool restaurant)

    Little Owl - http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/the-little-owl/
    (Outstanding food, extremely small dining room, but feels very warm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Comments all the way from Abu Dhabi :) Hope you're staying cool in the desert!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails